During a time of world wide pandemic, unemployment and a staying at home order life can get a little grim. Especially, if you are suffering from depression or anxiety these factors can affect you greatly. I have been through many ups and downs in my life and I have decided to share with you my morning routine that I use to keep my mind and body healthy.
- Keep your normal wake-up time. I maintain my normal 730 am wake-up time and trust me I am not a morning person. When the alarm goes off I trow my arms up in the air and I say ' I want to be a champion’. I want to be able to get the most out of each day and get closer to my goals. I strive to be a ‘champion’ in my relationships with people, in my teaching and dancing career and everything I touch. That phrase helps me stay motivated even in the worst days.
2. Get dressed right the way. I get dressed in athletic wear because that tells my body and mind we are ready to be active.
3. Go out for a walk. Each morning I go for a walk to get my body moving. While I walk, I try to observe my surroundings and start putting positive thoughts in my mind. You can try sitting on a balcony or anywhere you can get some fresh air. In my case this works because I am quarantined in a small peaceful neighborhood, but this might look different in your part of the world.
4. Write down 5-10 things you are grateful for. Practicing gratitude each day can change your perspective of life and really help you tackle any problems that come your way. I have a small journal dedicated just to that.
5. Coffee & Healthy breakfast. I am very careful with the food I eat and not because I am trying to lose weight or I am on a diet. It’s because nutrition plays a big part on how you feel physically and mentally no matter your size or age.
6. Exercise. I love being active and exploring new type of exercises. It’s important that you do something active or an exercise that makes you feel strong, even if it’s for 5-10 mins a day. My personal routine is 30-60 mins, depending on the day.
7. Drink Plenty of Water. I am sure that you have read and heard many people preaching this, but it’s true. Start your day with a glass of water and keep hydrating throughout the day. I am currently at 3-4 liters of water a day and I feel great. Years ago I would have been at maximum two cups a day and wondering why I am dehydrated.
Morning routines may vary from person to person but it’s important to have one and to start your day with positivity. Practicing gratitude, eating healthy and exercising will set you off to a great start.
I am happy to expand on any of these points or topics, or even if you need help customizing a morning routine I would be happy to help. I have gone through a few myself. Comment below what you would like to learn more about.